Manual configuration of searching by email headers
harmon.ie Email Knowledge Base - Outlook
This article applies to harmon.ie version 8.2 or later.
Note: Before you begin, please read Save email headers in SharePoint and search for emails by email headers.
harmon.ie version 8.2 adds the ability to add SharePoint Managed Properties to the harmon.ie search to facilitate searching for emails and documents. By default, the Managed Properties Author, File Name, File Extension, Title, Size are exposed.
This article explains how to add the email header columns Subject, To, From, CC to the harmon.ie search.
To configure email headers search:
Before you begin, make sure that email header mapping is configured in the site collection.
The process of configuring the email headers by which users can search for emails that were saved to SharePoint includes three steps:
- Create managed properties - harmon.ie supplies an .xml schema to update SharePoint's search schema, which controls what users can search for. SharePoint's search index includes content from the managed properties.
- Map email header properties to the managed properties - Search discovers information by crawling items on the SharePoint site. The search schema has a list of crawled properties that helps the crawler decide what content and metadata to extract. An added managed property must be mapped to a crawled property (the property defined to store email header values) to get content into the index.
- Enable the feature - After the site, library, or list has been crawled, users can search for the content and metadata of new, or changed managed properties.
Note: This procedure is done once for each site collection.
1. Create the managed properties:
harmon.ie created a search configuration schema to simplify the configuration of the managed properties.
The supplied schema file is provided only as a reference template, and it is not a part of the harmon.ie product.
- Download and extract harmonieEmailHeaderMapping.zip to a local folder on your computer.
- Open SharePoint's Site Settings > Site Collection Administration > Search Configuration Import.
- Select the SearchConfiguration.xml schema from the extracted zip file and Import it to your site collection.
This creates 4 managed properties for the search:
2. Map the email header properties to the managed properties:
By default, each of the managed properties is mapped to a harmon.ie crawled property. To be able to search for emails already uploaded to SharePoint, you have to map the configured email header properties to the managed properties defined in the previous step.
- Open SharePoint's Site Settings > Site Collection Administration > Search Schema and filter the managed properties list by the "hrm" string.
- For each of the four managed properties you imported in the previous step, do the following:
- Click the property name.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and select Add a Mapping.
- Locate the matching email header column by its internal name, select it and click OK. You may select either library-level properties or site-level properties (we recommend the later).
Tip: To easily locate the matching email column, filter the columns list by Category=SharePoint. The internal names are shown, with prefixes that were added to differentiate site-level and library-level properties. For example: The internal name of the From property is ows_From1 in the library level and ows_Q_TEXT_From1 in the site level.
Note: Your To and Cc properties must be set as plain-text multiple line properties for this feature to work.
3. Enable the feature to your users:
- Re-index the SharePoint site collection, to update your changes in SharePoint. This process my take a few hours when run for the first time.
- Set the EnableEmailSearch provisioning key to True in all users' machines, and instruct them to restart Outlook. You may use this sample registry file for assistance.