Save email messages with unique names
harmon.ie for Outlook Knowledge Base
You can instruct harmon.ie to save email messages to SharePoint with a unique name, following one of these methods:
- Using harmon.ie options. With this option, harmon.ie concatenates the sending time (in GMT, to avoid collisions between two time zones) and sender name to the email subject to create a unique name to each email saved to SharePoint.
Example: ACME project information_2015-05-27_20-22-30_Jim Smith.msg.
- Using provisioning. With this option, there are two methods to create the unique name:
- Define the key UniqueEmailName = True. This will create the same name as using harmon.ie options.
- Define the key UniqueEmailName = True and the String Value Hash = True. This will concatenate a hashcode of the email sending time and current user to the message name. Example: ACME project information_vf65bmt2.msg.
In this method, conversation emails are saved as separate documents, regardless if the same email is saved to SharePoint by more than one person.
- Email messages uploaded to SharePoint using Outlook rules or drop folders are automatically assigned with a unique name.
To force creating unique names:
When users upload messages from the same conversation using the Save on Send or Save Message ribbon buttons, they are asked if they want to Add as a new version to existing document(s). If the user selects to Add as a new version to existing document(s), the message will be overwritten, even if harmon.ie is configured to create unique email message names.
To override this behavior and force creating unique names:
- Define the key UniqueEmailName = True.
- Optionally, define a Hash = True String Value.
- Define the key Overwrite = False. Set together with a Force = 1 DWORD Value to prevent overwriting an old message with the new message.