Enable email previewing
harmon.ie for Outlook Knowledge Base - Enterprise Edition
The Show Preview command allows you to see a preview of email messages (.msg files) uploaded to SharePoint using:
Messages uploaded using the Upload button or by dragging and dropping from the Windows Explorer cannot be previewed.
For previewing email messages, harmon.ie saves the content of the email in a column named MailPreviewData.
The content is compressed and stripped from embedded objects, such as images, excel tables, etc.
To enable the preview of email messages:
The MailPreviewData column must be added to the SharePoint library and to the content type assigned to email messages. There are two methods to add it:
- Create a column called MailPreviewData in the SharePoint library.
- Set Column type to Multiple lines of text.
- Set Allow unlimited length in document libraries to Yes.
- Uncheck Add to all content types (recommended).
- Uncheck Add to default view, in order to hide the column from the library view (recommended).
- Add this column to the content type assigned to email messages.
- Select the column from the content type and set This column is to Hidden, to hide the column from the document properties (recommended).
- By installing the optional SharePoint feature package and library template. Read Map email headers to SharePoint metadata to learn how.