- Pricing Plans
Uploading and downloading documents
Why upload documents to Google Docs using harmon.ie?
When you upload a document to Google Docs using harmon.ie:
- It is stored securely on a Google server, and backed up for you.
- You can open the file and edit it inside Outlook.
- You can invite your contacts to edit it collaboratively with you and avoid sending attachments back and forth.
Note: When you upload a file to harmon.ie, it is converted to a Google document. Be aware that due to the conversions some formatting might get lost.
Which files can be uploaded to harmon.ie?
The types of files you can upload to harmon.ie are:
- Spreadsheet types: .xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .txt, .tsb
- Document types: .doc, .docx, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf
- Presentation types: .ppt, .pps
Note: There are some file-size limitations. See the size requirements for uploading.
How do I upload files with harmon.ie?
There are a few ways to upload files to Google documents with harmon.ie:
- Drag a document to the harmon.ie sidebar.
- Click the Upload button and select the file/s you want to upload.
- Save an e-mail attachment to Google documents.
- Open an attachment as a Google Document.
Uploading files using drag-and-drop
- Select a file of an allowed type, either in Outlook or in your computer.
- Drag the file to the harmon.ie sidebar to add it to the All Items view. Drop it on a folder item to add it to that folder.
Why can't I drag-and-drop files into harmon.ie?If you experience a problem using the drag-and-drop operation to upload a document to harmon.ie for Google Docs, check the following:
- Verify that you are trying to upload a file of an allowed type.
- If Outlook and Windows Explorer run under different credentials (for example, one of them was launched by Run as administrator), drag-and-drop will not work. Use the Upload button instead.
Uploading files with the Upload button
- Click the Upload button.
- Browse to the local folder containing the files you want to upload.
- Select the file/s you want to upload. You can only select files of an allowed type.
- Click Open.
To upload a file to a folder:
- or -
- Navigate to the parent folder.
- Drag the file on the folder line in the documents list.
Viewing uploaded documents
When you upload or create a file with harmon.ie, it is shown in the current view, even if it does not belong to that view. If you refresh or interact with the sidebar, the file disappears from the documents list. For example, if the current view is Hidden, and you drag a document to it, the document will be shown, though it is not Hidden. If you refresh, you will not see it in your view anymore.
Stopping an upload process
The upload process is indicated by a progress bar. To cancel the upload, click the red square on the right.
Note: If you cancel an upload process of multiple files, the files that were already uploaded will not be deleted from Google Docs.
Saving attachments to Google Docs
Saving an e-mail attachment to Google Docs uploads it to the Google Docs server.
Saving attachments in an incoming e-mail message:
- Right-click an attachment of an allowed type.
- Select Save to Google Docs, to open the Save Attachment dialog.
- Select the Upload Location:
- Google documents (No Folder), which saves the file without associating it to a folder.
- Select Folder, which opens the folder dialog and lets you select one or more folders with which the file will be associated.
- Check the attachments you want to upload.
- Check Replace attachments with links to remove the attached files from the message and replace them with links to the Google documents.
- or -
Saving attachments in an outgoing e-mail message:
By default, when you send a message containing attachments, the Save Attachments dialog opens asking you if you want to save the attachments to Google Docs, and replace them with links. Set upload options as explained above.
If you set not to be prompted to save attachments to Google Docs, you can save attachments to Google Docs this way:
- In an e-mail message, click the Save Attachments with harmon.ie button from the harmon.ie ribbon button.
- Use the Save Attachments dialog to set the upload options, as explained above.
Customizing behavior when sending e-mails
If you do not want to be prompted to replace attachments with links each time you send an e-mail message:
- Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the harmon.ie ribbon group, or select Options from the harmon.ie sidebar menu, and select the General tab.
- Uncheck the Prompt to replace attachments with links.
Open as a Google Document
When you open an e-mail attachment as a Google document, it is automatically uploaded to harmon.ie, and opens in the web browser.
To open an e-mail attachment as a Google document:
- Right-click an attachment of an allowed type, and select Open as a Google Document.
- The upload process begins, and is indicated by a progress bar in the harmon.ie sidebar.
- When the upload process finishes, the uploaded file is visible in the documents list, and is opened in the web browser.
Downloading documents with harmon.ie
How do I download documents from Google documents using harmon.ie?
There are a several ways to download Google documents to your computer, using harmon.ie:
- Drag documents from the sidebar to the Windows Desktop or Windows Explorer. The Google documents are converted to your preferred file format.
- Right-click a document and download it using the Save As command.
- Right-click a document and select Copy > Document from the context menu. Then paste the document to a location on your computer. The Google documents are converted to your preferred file format.
Note: Due to a limitation in the Google Docs API, it is currently not possible to download Google documents in the new format.
Downloading files with the Save As command
Downloading a single document:
- Select the document you want to download from the documents list.
- Right-click and select Save As, to open the File Download dialog, in which you:
- Select a location on your computer where you want to save the document.
- Optionally, rename your document.
- Select the file type you want to convert the Google document to.
Downloading multiple documents:
- Select the documents you want to download, in the documents list.
- Right-click and select Save As, to open the Browse For Folder dialog, where you select the folder to save the documents to.
Note: When you download multiple documents, they are converted to your preferred file format.
Configuring how to convert Google Documents types to local types
When you download Google documents to your computer with harmon.ie, they are converted to a local file format. To configure which file format to convert the Google documents types to:
- Click the arrow in the lower right corner of the harmon.ie ribbon group, or select Options from the harmon.ie sidebar menu, and select the Google Docs tab.
- From the Download Format drop-down list select any of these formats:
- Microsoft Office formats, converts Google Documents to .doc, Google Spreadsheets to .xls, and Google Presentations to .ppt.
- Open Office formats, converts Google Documents to .odt, Google Spreadsheets to .ods, and Google Presentations to .pdf.
- Adobe PDF, converts all Google documents types to .pdf.